Friday, April 24, 2009

Yay, ASA Spring Meeting! Boo, ASA Spring Meeting!

Every year, my local statistics group holds an all day meeting/mini-conf. Lots of local people give talks, especially students. This is my 3rd year going, and it's getting to that great point where I know a lot of the people.

Today, I gave a talk. (I hate public speaking. But I survived business school with flying colors, which means I am pretty good at it. Today... not so much.) I gave the talk Wednesday at school to help fill out the stats seminar schedule and to practice it and make sure it was the right length and everything. Lesson learned: talk given to 4 people who are not afraid to interrupt - 30 minutes. Talk given in smallish auditorium where no one says anything? 15 minutes. Elementary talk issue and I so know better, but I didn't want to think of more content so I tried to pretend it was ok. Oh well. I was right before lunch, and I don't think anyone begrudged being able to go to lunch early. I did get some good responses from other people in industry, no one suddenly found a huge flaw in my project, and an undergraduate told me he wants my job when he grows up.

Today, I was SUPPOSED to present a poster. They didn't tell me that no one else wanted to present a poster, so they canceled the poster session. I was really looking forward to having something in the "Posters Presented" section of my C.V., but oh well. The bad thing is that I spent ~ 4 frantic hours attempting to print the damn thing out yesterday (plus another 2 finishing it up). FYI - Adobe Reader refuses to tile a large pdf and print it on many sheets. You need Acrobat. The people at Kinko's have Acrobat (or something) and will do it for you, but they will not listen and print it on big sheets so they can charge you more. They would love to print it all at once, but that will cost at least $50, so....

I have a 8 sheets of 11" x 17" taped together that I'm going to take to school and post somewhere, because goshdarnit, I made a poster!

Three weeks left in the semester. Two function analysis homeworks (take home quizes, whatever you want to call them), one paper for monetary policy (How much of the Financial Crisis can be explained by the Credit Channel?), and one example to work up for Bayesian. Research may get to wait a bit, since it got a lot of the last two weeks in order to make the poster happen. STUPID POSTER.

No comments:

Post a Comment